Looking for a tutorial on using the media API to play video?

Questions and information about Crank Software's Storyboard Designer

Moderator: jamiev

Looking for a tutorial on using the media API to play video?

Postby creatify » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Within the docs on this page: http://www.cranksoftware.com/cranksoftw ... /ch04.html it mentions: "A sample video application can be found in the Storyboard online repository in order to demonstrate the actions provided." Can someone point me to this, please?
creatify

Re: Looking for a tutorial on using the media API to play vi

Postby rdowdall » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:08 pm

Hello

The media sample seems to have been pulled from the storyboard online repository. I will look in to getting you a sample on how to play a simple video file. I will also file a PR to update that documentation.

Is this to run on the x86 ATOM target that you have mentioned in some of your previous posts? The reason I ask is that our media plugin requires a media backend application to facilitate the playing of media. On most Linux platforms we currently use gstreamer-0.10 and we require that the plugins to play the media, and the appsink plugin are installed. I took a look on the ATOM system that we have here and the appsink doesn't seem to be installed. So we are going to need to have it installed, or we are going to need to get you a custom gstreamer backend application that uses a fakesink instead.

Thanks,
Rodney
rdowdall

Postby creatify » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:48 pm

Thank you for the response! I did read into the fact that it uses a backend media app, I'm wondering if this new chip we're looking at has that. We're actually no longer looking at the ATOM, we've ordered a Intel Celeron J1900, http://ark.intel.com/products/78867/Intel-Celeron-Processor-J1900-2M-Cache-up-to-2_42-GHz?wapkw=j1900. It's starting to look like that may be the board of choice, but we're probably a week away from a final decision. I still would like to see an example to see how the code is set up in LUA, or in Storyboard.
creatify

Postby rdowdall » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:52 am

Hello

You can download a video example from:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wk11rhrk4s1n1 ... e.zip?dl=0

This sample shows play/pause events and how to play a file named video.m4v in the video directory.

Thanks,
Rodney
rdowdall

Postby creatify » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:14 am

Thank you! Diving into this today.
creatify

Postby creatify » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:28 pm

I set up an m4v movie and tried testing this on my Mac — I'm getting WARN [3.605]:ACTION: Missing action handler [gra.media.playpause] ... missing a plugin?
in the output. I also tried installing the apk on this chipset running android, but the movie didn't play — granted, I currently don't have access what libs are on that chipset not can I set it up into debug mode at the moment. Thoughts?
creatify

Postby rdowdall » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:51 pm

In order to play back the video you need the media plugin and a media backend that knows how to talk to our media plugin. Currently we have a gstreamer-backend that know how to talk to our media plugin. We currently only ship it with linux-armle runtimes. In order to play the movie you are going to need the following:

- A media plugin for your target
- A media backend that can run on your target and has some way of decoding the media that you wish to play (gstreamer, ffmpeg, etc)
rdowdall

Postby Ray » Tue May 17, 2016 8:59 am

Hi Rodney,

This is Ray, the newbie trying to play video on SB. After reading this thread, I guess my question is how to apply the media blackend and media plugin in the Storyboard Designer under Ubuntu and Windows 10. Could you provide more detailed instructions? I really appreciate your time and help.
Ray

Postby rdowdall » Tue May 17, 2016 9:41 am

Hello Ray

We don't currently have a media backend for Windows 10 that is released. We have been working on something in house that we will work on Windows 10 but no release timeline has been given for it. If you would like to obtain a pre-released version for Windows 10 then please contact our sales team.

For Ubuntu you can use the gstreamer-backend that is in the linux-x86-opengles_2.0-x11-obj/bin directory. This version of gstreamer-backend is built against gstreamer-0.10 so please make sure that the 32 bit versions of the gstreamer-0.10 libraries are installed on the Ubuntu system. There will be a version of the gstreamer-backend released in the future that is based on the gstreamer-1.0 libraries.

To use the gstreamer-backend application, just run it before you attempt to play media from the Storyboard application. It would probably be best to start the gstreamer-backend application before starting Storyboard engine. The LD_LIBRARY_PATH will have to be set to include the linux-x86-opengles_2.0-x11-obj/lib directory before starting gstreamer-backend.

Thanks,
Rodney
rdowdall

Postby Ray » Tue May 17, 2016 2:51 pm

It's working. Thank you for helping out!

shot.png
shot.png (246.32 KiB) Viewed 21666 times
Ray

Next

Return to Storyboard Designer