SVG Support

Questions and information about Crank Software's Storyboard Designer

Moderator: jamiev

SVG Support

Postby Benjamin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:56 am

Hi there,

I need to implement a medium sized Storyboard project with a about 100-200 images (in RGB colour). I requested these images as SVG from the artists, because they are mostly simple vector graphics that are best stored in this format (and of course that SVG can be freely scaled without loss of quality is a big advantage). However, I just noticed that Storyboard Designer 5.1 does not seem to support SVG images. Is that correct?

Is there a version of Storyboard Designer / Engine that supports simple SVG graphics? This would make my life so much easier.

The alternative would be that I have to manually scale hundreds of images to the right size and save them as PNG or similar. It's certainly possible, it's just incredibly tedious.

Best regards,
Benjamin
Benjamin

Re: SVG Support

Postby nschultz » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:29 am

Hello Benjamin,

Storyboard is a raster based rendering engine so we do not support vector based graphics. I can certainly understand the desire to work with vector graphics from a design point of view however at runtime vector graphics have a much more significant performance impact than rasterized images. We've had many customers start off with vector graphics in their design tools then export them as rasterized output when a final resolution is selected.

If you need to scale images you can make use of the 9-patch scaling feature or image scaling option in Storyboard. However keep in mind that for best performance and fidelity images should be kept at native resolutions when possible.

Please see this guide for moving from Illustrator to Photoshop.

https://forums.cranksoftware.com/viewto ... ?f=4&t=666

Thank you,

Nik
nschultz

Re: SVG Support

Postby Benjamin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:36 am

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, that is what I suspected, exporting them at native resolution is certainly the fastest solution from a performance perspective. I'll do it like that.
I'll probably use a command line tool to automatically convert the images from SVG to PNG, to save time. I read that GIMP can do this via command line.

Best regards,
Benjamin
Benjamin

Return to Storyboard Designer