Playing media sample on iMX6DL

Questions and information about Crank Software's Storyboard Engine

Moderator: jamiev

Playing media sample on iMX6DL

Postby stubbornthings » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:11 am

I watched the demo of the new Storyboard Designer (v5.0) and I saw that you were able to push the sample to the target (iMX6DL). You were able to open and simulate the media sample on your desktop and then play it on your target.

I want to be able to do the same on mine but I'm having some difficulty. I am using Windows 10 and a Toradex iMX6DL running Linux V2.7 (Yocto). I can open the media sample and run it in simulation on my desktop but I can't get it to work when I try to run it on my target. I keep getting the following errors.

My command line
/home/root/mnt/mmc/storyboard_engines/linux-imx6/linux-imx6yocto-armle-fbdev-obj/bin/sbengine -vvvv -omtdev,device=/dev/input/touchscreen0 -ogesture,mode=multi -ogreio,channel=Video /home/root/mnt/mmc/storyboard_export/Video/Video.gapp

Output
Code: Select all
INFO   [0.295]:Initialize plugin: [poly (4.2.1.21580)] []                                                   
EVENT  [0.295]:IO: Dispatch [gre.internalinit]                                                             
WARN   [0.295]:Frambuffer format mismatch requested 32 using 16                                             
EVENT  [0.295]:IO: Queue [1] gre.init                                                                       
EVENT  [0.296]:IO: Dispatch [gre.init]                                                                     
EVENT  [0.296]:IO: Queue [2] gre.screenshow.pre                                                             
EVENT  [0.296]:IO: Queue [3] gre.external.show.video                                                       
EVENT  [0.324]:IO: Queue [4] gre.screenshow.post                                                           
WARN   [0.324]:media: Can't open channel to backend media player [com.crank.media_backend] error 2         

EVENT  [0.324]:IO: Dispatch [gre.screenshow.pre]                                                           
EVENT  [0.324]:IO: Dispatch [gre.external.show.video]                                                       
EVENT  [0.324]:IO: Dispatch [gre.screenshow.post]                                                           
ACTION [0.324]:ACTION: Invoke [gre.screenshow.post]->[gra.media.new.video] on app [app]                     
WARN   [0.324]:media: Can't open channel to backend media player [com.crank.media_backend] error 2 

The app is visible on the target display but the video doesn't play.

Can you offer any suggestions on how to install the proper backend media player to get the video to play? Thanks.
stubbornthings

Re: Playing media sample on iMX6DL

Postby Evan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Hello,

From the log output you posted, it seems as though you are still using version 4.2.1 of sbengine on your target (INFO [0.295]:Initialize plugin: [poly (4.2.1.21580)]). Can you please try again with 5.0 and confirm the result?

Thanks,
Evan
Evan

Postby stubbornthings » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi Evan,

You are correct. That was my problem. I was using the older 4.2.1 engine instead of the new 5.0 engine.

Thanks.

Scott B
stubbornthings

Postby stubbornthings » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Video is playing but I'd like to see if I can play sound. Any ideas on how I can do this on the Toradex Colibri iMX6DL? Thanks.

Output
Code: Select all
INFO   [0.132]:Initialize plugin: [screen-path (5.0.0.23988)] []               
INFO   [0.132]:Initialize plugin: [redirect (5.0.0.23988)] []                   
INFO   [0.132]:Initialize plugin: [poly (5.0.0.23988)] []                       
INFO   [0.132]:Initialize plugin: [animate (5.0.0.23988)] []                   
WARN   [0.139]:Framebuffer format mismatch requested 32 using 16               
AL lib: (EE) oss_open_playback: Could not open /dev/dsp: No such file or directy
ERROR  [0.484]:no audio device could be found
stubbornthings

Postby Evan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:59 am

Hey Scott,

It looks like your board is not outfitted with the proper audio backends that our plugin is currently expecting. It was initially built with support for OSS (Open Sound System) and WaveFile.

In the future we need to provide support for a wider range of backends (like Asound, ALSA), however for now you will need a board with one of these backends installed if you want to play audio.

Thanks,
Evan
Evan

Return to Storyboard Engine