Text vertical position discrepancy

Questions and information about Crank Software's Storyboard Engine

Moderator: jamiev

Text vertical position discrepancy

Postby jzeltinger » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:23 am

When creating a new UI, the default line height for text in Storyboard Designer is 100, which is what we typically use. However, some languages like Arabic require more vertical space. In trying to make Arabic work in our UI I have been exploring changing the line height from 100 to something like 75 when the Arabic language is selected. In doing so, I have noticed that the view of the text in Storyboard Designer differs from what is rendered when simulating the UI on Windows or on my embedded target. The text is shifted downward in the Windows simulation. I have attached a Word doc with a couple screenshots that illustrate this. This discrepancy makes it more time consuming to evaluate changes from Storyboard Designer to my deeply embedded target. I should mention that when the line height is 100, the view in Storyboard Designer and the Windows simulation matches.

Can you please explain why this discrepancy might exist and also what units the line height is supposed to be in - is it percent? Any other recommendations for accommodating fonts with extra tall character sets besides reducing the font size?

Thanks
Attachments
Font Line Height.docx
Illustration of effect of font line height between SB Designer and Windows SB simulation.
(52.75 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
jzeltinger

Re: Text vertical position discrepancy

Postby jzeltinger » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:20 pm

I have added a couple more screenshots to the attached file which show the difference between what is rendered on a Windows platform and what is rendered on the Micrium embedded platform. The difference is minimial for the latin language but significant for the Arabic languages. Line height is set to 100 for all fonts.
Attachments
Font Line Height.docx
Added two new screenshots to show difference between Windows and Micrium targets with Arabic fonts.
(169.04 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
jzeltinger

Postby rdowdall » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Hello

This is a known issue that has been resolved for our upcoming 5.1 release. For options on how to get this fix sooner, please contact support@cranksoftware.com.

Thanks,
Rodney
rdowdall

Postby jzeltinger » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks for your comments. I will put in a request.
jzeltinger

Return to Storyboard Engine