Windows CE target setup

Questions and information about Crank Software's Storyboard Engine

Moderator: jamiev

Windows CE target setup

Postby ChrisK » Tue May 25, 2010 9:44 am

When you installed Storyboard all of the supported target configurations were installed to "[install root]/Storyboard Engine". Each directory there contains the plugins and binaries required to run Storyboard on an embedded target. For this example we will assume a Windows CE system based on Windows CE 5.2 or better.

Note: Windows CE 6.0 (and to a lesser degree 5) is very customizable. Your target Windows CE image needs to have Alphablending enabled in libGWES.dll in order to be compatible with Storyboard 1.1. To receive verbose output using the -v option, you must ensure a console is build into your target Windows CE image.

First we must put the plugins and engine onto the target. The files can be copied to the target or remotely mounted. Create a directory on the target for the Engine such as "Storyboard". In a final setup you would only put the plugins your application requires but for this example we will put all plugins on the target. Create 2 new directories and copy the following files from host to target:
[install root]/Storyboard Engine/wince-armle-win32-obj/plugins/* -> [target]/Storyboard/plugins
[install root]/Storyboard Engine/wince-armle-win32-obj/bin/sbengine -> [target]/Storyboard/bin

Now we need an application to run. Samples are shipped in the "[install root]/Samples" directory. Copy one of these to the target system, copy all files in the selected sample as the samples contain all of the images, fonts, scripts and deployment files required. For example copy "button-example" to the target system's "/tmp" directory.

Storyboard loads plugins for added functionality. Because Windows CE does not support environment variables, the plugin must be specified as a command line option: -omodel_mgr,plugin_path="[target]/Storyboard/plugins"
Should you not specify the plugin directory via the command line, the Storyboard engine will load plugins form the directory where the executed gapp file resides.

Now you can run your application.
[target]/bin/sbengine -omodel_mgr,plugin_path="[target]/Storyboard/plugins" /tmp/button-example/button-example.gapp
ChrisK

Re: Windows CE target setup

Postby garryc » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:18 am

When building apps for Windows CE that will use the GREIO api to communicate with a native process there is an additional OS dependency to handle the inter-process communications mechanism (Storyboard Engine talking to a WinCE process to interact with the hardware).

The GREIO library uses MSMQ as this messaging mechansism so you need to add this to the WinCE BSP in the Platform Builder catalog if it is not already included in your NK.bin.

Garry
garryc

Postby joy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:40 am

Firstly, the overall file format of a Windows CE installation cabinet is the standard Microsoft Cabinet file format. This was originally documented in the Microsoft document CABFMT.DOC as part of the Microsoft Cabinet SDK (CAB-SDK.EXE), it is now documented in the Windows Installer documentation. The format can also be gleaned from open source tools and libraries such as cabextract and libmspack. Windows CE installation cabinets typically use no compression (the NONE compression method in the cabinet specification), sometimes MSZIP compression.
joy

Postby kandy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:10 am

Crisk,
This doesn't work. I tried samples in inston Freescale iMX51 running wince 6 and also standard WINCE 6 emulator. No any dialog pop up , no any error message prompt either. What's wrong I made? Any tips I can follow to get it work?

Thanks

kandy
kandy

Postby kandy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 am

Just bump up to get more attention...
kandy

Postby kandy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:12 am

So sad...
Is there CrankSoftware guy online to give me a help? :(
kandy

Postby brian » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:45 pm

How are you running Storyboard? From a batch file or from the command line? Can you post the contents of the file or the command line? Are you trying to runt the win32 version or the OpenGL ES version?

Brian
brian

Postby kandy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Just as command line described in original post.

[target]/bin/sbengine -omodel_mgr,plugin_path="[target]/Storyboard/plugins" /tmp/button-example/button-example.gapp

BTW, I add extral "-vvvv", no any message printed on console. I suspect any library is missing.
kandy

Postby brian » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:44 am

Which target are you running win32 or OpenGL ES? I agree it is most likely a missing library

Brian
brian

Postby kandy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:12 am

Dear Brian,
It's WIN32, not OpenGL.
kandy

Next

Return to Storyboard Engine