SBIO Win32 datatypes and format specifiers

Questions and information about Crank Software's Storyboard Engine

Moderator: jamiev

SBIO Win32 datatypes and format specifiers

Postby anba » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:42 am

Hello,

from some quick tests I am not sure that the different format specifiers for data types all work correctly, but maybe I am missing something. Here is what I observed:

- I added a "custom_event" which calls a Lua function
- In this lua function I just print the received key / value pairs to the console
- With iogen I send the custom event to the storyboard engine using different format specifiers for a value

e.g. set key "x" to value "0"
iogen sbiochannel no_target custom_event 4s1:x 0
iogen sbiochannel no_target custom_event 1u1:x 0

Everything seems to work except 1 byte data types (uint8 or sint8), the console prints invalid values.
To me it looks like the format specifieres "1u1" and "1s1" are both treated as strings and not as integers, so for numbers 0..9 you receive ascii codes 48..57 as output.
This can also be an encoding problem on iogen side and no problem on storyboard engine side. But from what I can observe currently the 1 byte datatypes do not work correctly when sending iogen events to the storyboard engine.

Thanks,
Andreas
anba

Re: SBIO Win32 datatypes and format specifiers

Postby anba » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:03 am

Hello,

I just wrote a quick visual studio c++ project verifying what I have observed.
From my c++ project everything seems to work fine, so the problem is on the iogen argument parser, which can not differentiate between 1s1, 1u1 as integers and 1s0 as strings.
Storyboard engine seems to be fine.
anba

Re: SBIO Win32 datatypes and format specifiers

Postby MikeMarchand » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:33 am

Hi anba,

Thank you for following up on this with more information. We've now logged this issue and it will be addressed in an upcoming release of Storyboard Suite.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeMarchand

Return to Storyboard Engine