Neutrino target setup

Questions and information about Crank Software's Storyboard Engine

Moderator: jamiev

Neutrino target setup

Postby brian » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:54 am

When you installed Storyboard all of the supported target configurations were installed to "[install root]/Storyboard Engine". Each directory there contains the plugins and binaries required to run Storyboard on an embedded target. For this example we will assume a Neutrino ARMLE system using the Advanced Graphics TDK.

First we must put the plugins and engine onto the target. The files can be copied to the target or remotely mounted. Create a directory on the target for the Engine such as "Storyboard". In a final setup you would only put the plugins your application requires but for this example we will put all plugins on the target. Create 2 new directories and copy the following files from host to target:
[install root]/Storyboard Engine/nto-armle-agtdk-obj/plugins/* -> [target]/Storyboard/plugins
[install root]/Storyboard Engine/nto-armle-agtdk-obj/bin/sbengine -> [tagget]/Storyboard/bin

Now we need an application to run. Samples are shipped in the "[install root]/Samples" directory. Copy one of these to the target system, copy all files in the selected sample as the samples contain all of the images, fonts, scripts and deployment files required. For example copy "button-example" to the target system's "/tmp" directory.

Storyboard loads plugins for added functionality. It loads these based on the environment variable "GRE_PLUGINS". This can be set to a list of plugins or to a directory. For our case lets set it to the plugin directory:
export GRE_PLUGINS=[target]/Storyboard/plugins

Storyboard for this platform uses Advanced Graphics for rendering. This requires that you are running the display server (io-display) and not running Photon. The io-display sevrer uses a configuration file (display.conf) to choose the graphics driver and setup the proper resolution, your BSP should come with these files. Input uses the devi-* archiecture and requires you to run the driver with the "-P" option to disable the Photon interface. For example:
io-display -dvid[vid],did=[did]
devi-hid -P mouse
*Note: on some Neutrino versions you must run your graphics application as root, which means running "sbengine" as root

Also make sure the following librries are on your target system:
libgf.so
libffb.so
devg-[driver].so
devi-[driver].so
libimg.so (image loading, also requires the pi_* image plugins)
libFF-T2K.so (used for the FontFusion font library)

Now you can run your application.
[target]/bin/sbengine /tmp/button-example/button-example.gapp

Note: If your application uses the Storyboard IO API then make sure that you are running "mqueue".

Brian
brian

Re: Neutrino target setup

Postby bko » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:03 pm

hi brian,

quick question as I was trying to run a simple HelloWorld but got a bunch of errors:

Firstly,
Also make sure the following librries are on your target system:
libgf.so
libffb.so
devg-[driver].so
devi-[driver].so
libimg.so (image loading, also requires the pi_* image plugins)
libFF-T2K.so (used for the FontFusion font library)

Are these files supposed to be in a specific directory on the Neutrino target?

This could be why there is a complaint on everyline of the gapp file when I try to execute the gapp file.

Thanks,
bko
bko

Postby brian » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:58 am

Hi,

As long as the libraries are in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH then you should be fine. Normally the libs go into /lib and the drivers, devg and such, go into /lib/dll. If the lib path was wrong you would normally get an error about missing libraries. could you send me the errors you are seeing?

Thanks,
Brian
brian

Postby jason » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:30 am

This could be why there is a complaint on everyline of the gapp file when I try to execute the gapp file.

Are you attempting to run the gapp file as a script? You should execute sbengine and pass the gapp fill to sbengine on the command line.

#sbengine /tmp/button-example/button-example.gapp
jason

Postby cguthrie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:02 pm

As bko had some trouble with this, which exact qnx neutrino image should we use on vmware to make these specific instructions work?

Thanks,
cguthrie
cguthrie

Postby brian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:54 am

There should be nothing specific for the setup, just an install of QNX 6.4. I am in the process of installing 6.4 into a fresh vmware session to test things out and will get back to you with my results.

Brian
brian

Postby brian » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi,

I have installed a fresh 6.4.1 QNX vmware session and I have duplicated what you are seeing. There seems to be an issue with SDL and vmware for QNX 6.4.1. I have verified that older and newer versions of QNX do not have this issue. I have made a change to our SDL rendering system to work around the problem. I am running a build for you and will post an update shortly.

Cheers,
Brian
brian

Postby cguthrie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:52 pm

bko and I were able to reproduce the error on 6.4.0, is that old enough that you are not experiencing the error there? After we did that we did not attempt it on 6.5.

Thank You
cguthrie
cguthrie

Postby brian » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:36 am

That is odd. I have a 6.4.0 vmware session and things work fine with that, I was only able to see the problem when running 6.4.1. Please give the following archive a try on your system (please note that the directory name has changed from nto to qnx).
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/138688/qnx-6.4- ... D-5708.zip
If you have a 6.4.0 vmware session which fails please archive it up and send it to me. What version of vmware are you running, workstation or player? I have seen different versions of vmware cause issues with QNX drivers. On my 6.4.1 vmware session running under Mac I can't run the QNX web browser as it does not render. What happens if you run the Photon browser (firefox) in these sessions?

Brian
brian

Return to Storyboard Engine