Arabic support

All things Storyboard for the Android platform.

Moderator: jamiev

Arabic support

Postby mohammed foud » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:56 am

How to enable Arabic support by entering data in fields in the application
mohammed foud

Re: Arabic support

Postby mohammed foud » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:30 pm

hi
mohammed foud

Postby jason » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi,

Just to make sure I understand the question. Are you asking how to manage Arabic input from a keyboard when entering text in a textbox in the application?

Jason
jason

Postby mohammed foud » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:02 am

Yes exactly
mohammed foud

Postby mohammed foud » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:45 am

hi
mohammed foud

Postby thomas » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Mohammed,

I'm going to take a crack at replying, but let me know if I miss the mark on what it is that you want to do.

For Storyboard in general we ship with FreeType for font rendering and simple text layout. For advanced text layout (RTL or bi-directional text), we rely on a partnership with Monotype and their commercial iType and Spark layout and font engines. For FreeType, if you are doing simple RTL layout, then you can manage the input yourself as you are receiving content. Storyboard applications capture raw key events containing unicode character information as well as keyboard specific symbols (like arrow keys etc). If you are doing Arabic text processing and not using a specific layout engine (ie you are using Storyboard with the FreeType font engine in its default configuration), then you will want to capture the input character content and then store it in a buffer and flip that buffer based on the content you are receiving for display. You can also extend this processing to provide you with bi-directional layout support as well as you encountered numeric characters for example. While it doesn't perform RTL conversion, there is a text entry sample (ScrollingTextEntry) that shows how the buffer content is managed for display from keypress events that you can use as a starting point.

For input, we have a Virtual Keyboard sample that you can customize for your own purposes and integrate into your application that will generate synthetic key events. Storyboard applications run as native applications on Android and do not have access to all of the Java based view's that standard applications have access to, so it seems unlikely that we would be able to use the native Android keyboard. My reading of the Android documentation seems to re-enforce this idea, but I haven't tried it with a sample yet.

Hope this helps get you going in the right direction,
Thomas
thomas

Postby mohammed foud » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:56 am

First, thank you thomas for your reply.
Is there an explanation to deal with the above .. to apply in the application of android
mohammed foud

Postby thomas » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:54 am

Mohammed,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by an explanation to deal with the above. The process I outlined is generic behaviour across all Storyboard platforms. On Android, since we don't have access to the Android virtual keyboard within our application, you would have to use or customize the virtual keyboard sample and incorporate that within your Storyboard application. With that keyboard, you can customize which language or layout you want to use.

If you are asking if there is a way to use the native Android keyboard and input methods with a Storyboard application, at the moment I believe that the answer is no. I have one of my colleagues investigating that this is in fact the case, but based on my understanding of how the virtual keyboard is invoked/enabled within an Android application, it assumes a non-native (ie C/C++ OpenGL based) application.

Thomas
thomas

Postby mohammed foud » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:27 am

The intended method is to use freetype and extra fonts in storyboard
mohammed foud

Postby MikeMarchand » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Mohammed,

Using the soft keyboard in android is possible with Storyboard Engine. We have an action to "Open Virtual Keyboard", sip.open. This action works on Android, IOS and WinCE. Unfortunately, I have discovered that the Android input handling does not currently support non-latin characters.

I would suggest taking a look at the VirtualKeyboard sample that is shipped with Storyboard Designer. Without going the Monotype/iType route, the RTL layout will need to be managed manually. We currently do not have a sample available which demonstrates performing RTL or Bi-Directional text layout.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeMarchand

Next

Return to Storyboard for Android