Running Storyboard on a 64 bit Linux machine

Questions and information about Crank Software's Storyboard Designer

Moderator: jamiev

Re: Running Storyboard on a 64 bit Linux machine

Postby rdowdall » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:58 pm

Hello Mike

Which version of Storyboard Designer are you trying to run on Ubuntu 18.04? Also are you running the Wayland version of the desktop environment or the X11 version?

Thanks,
Rodney
rdowdall

Postby mholmes » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi Rodney,

I'm trying to install Storyboard Designer 4.1.

As far as Wayland vs X11? I don't remember choosing between the two. I would have taken the default which I think is Wayland.

My /etc/gdm3/custom.conf file, has WaylandEnable=False is commented out.
Code: Select all
[daemon]
# Uncoment the line below to force the login screen to use Xorg
#WaylandEnable=false

Thanks,
Mike
mholmes

Postby rdowdall » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Hello Mike

Is there a reason you need to use Storyboard 4.1? That is a pretty old release. There is a known issue with Designer versions older than 5.1 on newer 64bit versions of Ubuntu. The issue seems to be a caused by an incompatibility between the 32bit version of Java needed to run Designer and the newer 64bit Linux kernels. You can try an older LTS version of Ubuntu like 14.04 or 16.04 and those should work with that version of Designer. The other path is to upgrade to a newer version of Designer, which is now 64bit, to run on newer versions of Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Rodney
rdowdall

Postby mholmes » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Hi Rodney,

I'm currently running Storyboard 4.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 just fine. But 14.04 is a year from losing support and I need to grade to Ubuntu 18.04.

I've been using Storyboard 4.1 for 3+ yrs now. I would like to upgrade to 5.x at some point, but to do so would require a lot of regression testing of our product that I'm not in a position to do for sometime.

Thanks,
Mike

FYI - I have two other Eclipse-based tools that are running fine on 18.04.
mholmes

Postby mholmes » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi Rodney,

In my last post I said I was running Ubuntu 14.04 just fine. If I try to install Storyboard on the latest Ubuntu 14.04 release (14.04.04 I think), I have the same issue.

Mike
mholmes

Postby rdowdall » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Hello Mike

It's less about the Eclipse version and more about the Java VM version and the Linux Kernel. Those other Eclipse-based apps that you are running are probably using a 64bit version of the Java VM whereas Designer is using the 32bit version of the Java VM that we shipped. I imagine that Ubuntu 14.04 released a kernel update, which is what is now causing the crash.

One thing that you could try, is to run "java --version" on your Ubuntu system and install the 32bit version of that Java VM. Then go into the Crank_Software\Storyboard_Designer directory, backup the "jre" directory that is in there to someplace like the Documents directory, remove it, and then try launching Designer. This may work, but it isn't really a configuration that has been tried.

Thanks,
Rodney
rdowdall

Postby mholmes » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi Rodney,

The java version is
michaelholmes@ubuntu:~$ java --version
openjdk 10.0.1 2018-04-17
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 10.0.1+10-Ubuntu-3ubuntu1)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 10.0.1+10-Ubuntu-3ubuntu1, mixed mode)
michaelholmes@ubuntu:~$

I also tried changing the version of java to 32-bit using...
sudo update-alternatives --config java

with no luck.

Mike

FYI - Here is the java version from the Ubuntu 14.04 VM that I use (successfully) now...

build@ubuntu1404mholmes:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_45"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_45-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.45-b01, mixed mode)
build@ubuntu1404mholmes:~$
mholmes

Postby rdowdall » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:19 am

Hello Mike

So it could be that you can't use the 32-bit OpenJDK version of the VM on Ubuntu 18.04 with Designer. Could you try the 32-bit version of the VM listed here on Ubuntu 18.04:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33155.html

You'll need to install it, and then you will probably want to point the PATH and JAVA_HOME environment variables to the installation location. If you update the config, then it may cause problems with your other Eclipse apps on that system. If that doesn't work, then it could be that the Java 8 version of the VM does not play nicely with the version of Eclipse that Designer 4.1 is built off of. I would provide a link for an updated version of the 32-bit Java 6 VM, but unfortunately, you have to be an official customer of Oracle to get those.

Just to be clear, you are running okay now on Ubuntu 14.04?

Also, make sure that you are getting rid of the JRE directory that is under the Designer directory. By default, Designer will use that VM regardless of what is installed on the system.

Thanks,
Rodney
rdowdall

Previous

Return to Storyboard Designer